If it isn’t one of your favorite foods, it will be after you try it our way. Just when I thought macaroni and cheese couldn’t get any better — Jane went and added fried pancetta and it was so good I may have cried a little. This perfect comfort food is perfect for yourinside picnic party - or for your cozy Friday night in.
for mac & cheese:
1 lb elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
dash of salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 – 2 cups of each cheese, shredded: colby, cheddar and monterey jack
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1. Boil elbow macaroni per directions on box. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large pot (on the stove), melt the butter. Add flour and stir. Slowly add milk, constantly stirring.
3. Add shredded cheese to pot. Constantly stir until cheese is melted and thick. Throw in that dash of salt (optional).
4. Once completely melted, add to drained pasta in large bowl. Stir until completely mixed, adding your parsley flakes.
5. Spread into a 8×11 baking dish. Add breadcrumbs + parm. cheese on top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. (optional: boil for a minute or two to get the top nice and crispy) (**sidenote! for our picnic party we put together this dish the night before, stuck it in the fridge and then baked it right before the party the next day. easy peasy.**)
7. While your mac + cheese is baking, you’re going to want to get your sides ready. The can of stewed tomatoes is awesomely simple – open the can, heat up the tomatoes on the stove, put in a cute bowl w/ a spoon on the table. Cut your ham and pancetta into square, bite sized pieces. Fry them up in a tiny bit of oil (in separate pans). Again, cute bowls + spoons on table.